Tuesday, November 9, 2010

When faith goes away

I just read a story on a couple of ministers who have lost their faith, but are still preaching because they need a job. Found the link on the Debunking Christianity blog, for what it's worth.

It was a short article...short, but sad. It brought back the stress and horrible feelings that I went through when I lost my own faith. As hard as mine was, at least it didn't cost me a job. These guys - their whole livelihoods rest in their jobs. Now, I've seen preachers quit their churches and find other jobs, but it still must be pretty awful to have all those people believing what you're teaching, and not believing it yourself.

I feel for them. I know some people would not be so kind, and be very judgmental. But not me. I haven't been to church in over 2 years, and sometimes I'd like to go, just to see old friends - but I just don't believe anymore, and I can't imagine how awkward it would be.

Religion makes me sad. I don't think it's all bad, necessarily, but for those who find out that it's not true, it's positively heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment