Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sorrow for the Other Side

Something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately, and which has been brought to the forefront of my mind by the comments of two blogging Christian friends, is the idea of being a little sad for people who don't believe like you do.

I will admit right now, I don't really keep in touch with my former church friends. After I'd stopped going, I did received a few phone calls here and there but honestly the talks were uncomfortable to me and so a bit stilted. I didn't have it in me to explain things very well, and so I didn't. I was also going through a divorce at the time, and it was just easier to use that as an excuse as to why I wasn't attending.

I know that there are probably believer friends of mine who are sad that I no longer believe. The reason I know this is that I used to be a believer, and I know the sorrow that accompanies loving someone who you think is in danger of eternal damnation. Even short of that, there is a sadness that nonbelievers don't know the love of God or the fellowship of a community of believers. It is a real, honest sorrow, and it can definitely go beyond (and be devoid of) simply being judgmental.

But, those of us who don't believe can have a bit of a sorrow for those who do believe as well. We have a sorrow that your life can be limited by rules that might not apply to you, and might not do you any good. We have a sorrow that there is a whole world of experience and science and philosophy that your leaders would prefer that you ignore. We have a sorrow that you're spending a lot of time and money and energy on something that isn't real.

I don't mean to say this to be offensive at all; as I have said, I've been on both sides of it. I know the feelings well. So, for those who are believers and feel a bit sad for those who aren't, remember, they might think that about you as well. And nonbelievers - same to you, er, ah, us.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sad because other people's beliefs mean I can't buy beer on Sunday.

    OK, seriously, very well put.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I randomly found your blog from some database. I just analyzed it and posted it onto my blog for my english 201 class. It is sort of mixing my religious fights with yours. http://cajisjacob.blogspot.com/2009/02/analyzing-blog.html
    Keep writing, I'll keep reading.
    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I believe that people need to follow their own convictions. While we may not have the same belief system, I also respect that people have the right to believe and feel what they want.

    I believe that has been a main issue in Christianity- people are too judgemental, and it's sad, because no one is perfect.

    *hugs* Well said!

    ReplyDelete