Thursday, January 22, 2009

Unbelief in America

So, it's been awhile since I've written here...sorry, but life has been kicking my ass lately. Seems like I say that a lot, but it's true and I've had such little time for anything. In fact the only reason I'm able to do this now is my beloved is on a bus and is missing our usual chat time.

Ah, the topic at hand. I've been trying to read a little bit of my two newest books, Why I Became An Atheist and Parenting Beyond Belief, whenever I can. I take one of them to work with me every day with the intention of going off somewhere alone to read, but it doesn't happen often. See, I tend to hide the book when I carry it, as if it's gonna piss someone off.

This is America, see, a "Christian" nation. If you don't think so, watch a few vids of the recent inauguration and see how many times God and even scripture are mentioned. Don't get me wrong - I like the new Prez and I think he's tolerant and probably just saying what he's got to say - but it just goes to show you how important religion seems to be here. And it's far more prevalent in small towns, like the one I grew up, than in cities. So I REALLY feel for nonbelievers in those places.

I remember reading on some message board for atheists of a businessman somewhere in the South (extreme Biblewood, if you will) whose atheist beliefs were a total secret because he knew if were let out, he'd lose most of his customers and thus his business.

Now, I live in Albuquerque, a fairly progressive town. We've got lots of people from all the more traditionally liberal (and thus usually fairly nonreligious) side of things, but then obviously Catholicism is big as well. At any rate, it seems most anywhere in America, the default position is a belief in God.

So, when I cart my Why I Became an Atheist book around, I tend to hide the cover. I went to Burger King for lunch yesterday, and read a bit, and I was self-conscious about it (Ok, also about the fact that I was in a skirt and heels and some guy kept staring at me, but that's neither here nor there). I think that needs to be a goal for me - to not be so self-conscious about what I think and believe and just be more sure of myself.

The funny thing is, when I was a Christian I thought judgments were harsh. I thought the world was just against Christians. But on the other side now, I think, wow, I'm feel far more "lonely," if you will, in this position of unbelief.

So maybe a first step will be just carrying my book around. And if someone says anything, I'll tell them my thoughts. And try not to hit them in the head with the book. Or maybe not...it's a soft cover. That's just a misdemeanor, right?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I noticed the large number of references to God in the inaugural speech, and was interested, as the US has a distinct separation of Church and State (unlike the UK).

    Of course describing oneself as a Christian is still regarded as a Good Thing over here, even if those people don’t actually have much knowledge or practice of Christianity. A Member of Parliament would be well advised not to make a big thing of his unbelief if he wanted to be sure of getting voters, despite the fact that those voters probably haven’t attended church in years.

    But one quirk is the previous Prime Minister, Tony Blair, who is a Christian, but in his term of office senior advisors warned him not to mention God in public. His press secretary is famous for answering a question on the subject with the line “We don’t do God.” However after Blair got the boot he ‘came out’ with his religious beliefs and converted to Roman Catholicism. If he’d been a fervent RC before, he would almost certainly not have been voted into power. There’s a difference between a ‘Christian’ MP who goes to church occasionally, and one who actually says he does what God tells him to do – particularly if he’s the Prime Minister. The contrast with George Bush could hardly have been greater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidentally ran across this today and what a delight to see you reading my book! I hope you enjoy it and you consider telling others you're reading it. You can tell them this. Tell them you're doing research. Tell them you're an honest seeker who is trying to come to grips with the mysteries of this universe. Tell them you're reading both sides of the debate to be better informed. Tell them you're trying to be objective with the arguments. Tell them you're reading it to see if there is a good case in it. Tell them the author himself wanted you to read it and wanted your feedback! ;-)

    Or...You could say that you are thinking about killing someone and want to become an atheist so you are morally free to do so! ;-) Or...You could tell them you are angry at God and want to deny he exists. ;-)

    Okay. Okay. I guess I had too much time on my hands today.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon: thanks - I do get some of that perspective from Iain, and it's good to get it from you as well.

    John: Um, I only get a half hour lunch, but I'll do my best ;)

    ReplyDelete